KOA Solves Bot Problem Forever!

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Re: KOA Solves Bot Problem Forever!

Post by Dr Brad » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:39 pm

Ironically, sometimes we benefit from bots.

Case in point: LRC. How many of us go LRC worlds inhabited by bots to fish or mine because of safety in numbers; we're less likely to be attacked by rock creatures when the same dot that we're on is filled with bots.

Show of hands.
morituri te salutant

Myztra Roxxs
RSN: Myztra

Post by Myztra Roxxs » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:57 pm

I LRC in 88, where bots are very few compared to the number of real players. In 77 the bots just make me lag.
* 2nd accts: Myztra Mini, Myztra HCore
Image Image
Image ImageImage

Darth Kaz2
Inactive
RSN: Darth Kaz2

Post by Darth Kaz2 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:50 pm

Thank you everyone for yor input so far!
Scootch and Brad raise an interesting question...Most of us don't like bots for three broad reasons: They mess up the economy, they interfere with ligitimate skillers, and they devalue the acheivement of a 99. My questions is this: How would it affect RS if players were able to wipe out bots? Are there pro's and con's to this idea?

SnowAngel
Inactive
RSN: SnowAngel

Post by SnowAngel » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:23 pm

When I do agi and watch tv, I pay no attention to chat so if I'm challenged, I won't notice. When I used to alch, I could go forever and not see anything in chat. When you smith the chat flies by fast too and real players might not notice a challenge. However, I can see where the challenge might work in combat areas. @};-
*2nd acct - PurpleSnow
Image Image ImageImageImage

Missing Jeff @};- (Magerpainz)

Darth Kaz2
Inactive

Post by Darth Kaz2 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:15 am

Snow, you raise great points! Thanks!

If the challenge popped up, and you couldn't do anything else until you answered it, then you couldn't miss it. Remember, you could only be challenged once per hr or so, so it wouldn't be too annoying for the average player.

I am the same way when I play...mentally afk :lol:. We need to create a way for this to work that doesn't get people like you and me killed! :D

If anyone else can think of any other issues, please bring them up! Thanks all!

quinoa mama
RSN: Quinoa Mama

Post by quinoa mama » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:47 pm

How about a random box will pop up any time you are not in combat. You have to type in the word that appears on the screen in one of those weird, nearly unreadable fonts. Maximum once per day or so. In a way I would hate it, but at the same time it would be worth it to me to reduce the bot problem.

Myztra Roxxs
RSN: Myztra

Post by Myztra Roxxs » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:04 pm

My solution:
- Make randoms mortal again.
- When you die (from randoms only?), you lose x% of your current exp from a random skill.

*poof* bots gone.
* 2nd accts: Myztra Mini, Myztra HCore
Image Image
Image ImageImage

SnowAngel
Inactive
RSN: SnowAngel

Post by SnowAngel » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:16 pm

Myztra Roxxs wrote:My solution:
- When you die (from randoms only?), you lose x% of your current exp from a random skill.

*poof* bots gone.
I'm not sure this would work but I would love to see the old randoms back in the game. :-)
*2nd acct - PurpleSnow
Image Image ImageImageImage

Missing Jeff @};- (Magerpainz)

Tamal
RSN: Tamal

Post by Tamal » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:08 pm

In many cases, bots can complete randoms easier than humans can.

Rue
Inactive
RSN: Roman Joseph

Post by Rue » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:23 am

Create weather, which will create storms, and tornadoes, and things that will be generated unsuspectingly. The trick would be to incorporate sound, as well as flashes, and small but spontaneous signs so that the average bot will either have to choose between running, and staying. Also, make certain resources like ivy growing on parts of the wall unable to be hacked at due to the rain; get the idea people? If we can tailor the weather to be spontaneous towards bots, but tolerable people then we're good. Let's face it, Runescape would truly be realistic if it had some overcast, and sunshine pouring down upon its players.
[size=85]"If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat."[/size]
[url=http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Stihlrue][img]http://runetrack.com/sigs/stat/wood/pos ... ihlrue.png[/img][/url]

scootch
RSN: Scootchy

Post by scootch » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:29 am

Myztra Roxxs wrote:My solution:

*poof* bots gone.
this Is a good Idea Agin. As veteran Players , We use to see this In the the Mining guild and Fishing guild. It would stop A Lot of things Good Point here

Darth Kaz2
Inactive

Post by Darth Kaz2 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:49 pm

I know the concept of randoms is an attempt to stop botting...but wasn't it a failed attempt? Sure, it would interrup a bot once every few hours, but does it limit botting?

Today I was at the LRC fishing rocktails, trying to get the fishing strange rocks. (And yes, it took me about 30 minutes to remember that you can't get the rocks in the LRC. Right now I am in Shilo, actually getting the fishing rocks. :P ) There were the usual hoards of bots there.
Problem 1: Too many bots.
Problem 2: Reporting them means I have to stop fishing.
Problem 3: I can only report 1 every few minutes.
Problem 4: They get randoms, and then are returned right back to continue fishing/mining.
Problem 5: I might accidentally report someone just standing around for 10-15 minutes. I hope I didn't!

Question: After reading my proposal, as it has developed through this thread, would it be helpful to RS if we the players could challenge, attack, and kill these annoying bots?

Arengeir
RSN: Arengeir

Post by Arengeir » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:26 pm

I don't think being able to challenge/kill bots is the answer. The only way that would work is if there were a system for detecting bots with certainty, and if they had that, they might as well just use it to ban bots.

I don't know if there's an answer other than to develop an algorithm that can distinguish a bot from a human (probably not an easy task), or forcing us to install software that sends back a list running processes (though that could probably be spoofed, and it's kind of evil).

Darth Kaz2
Inactive

Post by Darth Kaz2 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:45 pm

Yeah, Aren, the point of my idea is that it appears to be impossible for Jagex to detect and deal with bots. I am trying to find a way to engage the human intelligence of the player base instead of relying of a software solution that can be beaten with a simply macro update.

Arengeir
RSN: Arengeir

Post by Arengeir » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:36 pm

How would a challenge work though? What kind of challenge is it? How would the game determine if they pass or fail? What if they're just AFK?

If you mean a CAPTCHA, they had those in Classic with the sleeping bags. AFAIK, those didn't stop the bots (correct me if I'm wrong; I didn't play Classic for long).

Also, I'm not sure killing's the answer. What if the user being challenged makes a mistake and fails? Maybe it could be slightly forgiving, so it'll only assume you're a bot if you fall below a certain threshold (assuming the challenges can determine with certainty that a player's botting).