KOA Solves Bot Problem Forever!

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Darth Kaz2
Inactive
RSN: Darth Kaz2

KOA Solves Bot Problem Forever!

Post by Darth Kaz2 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:13 pm

Wouldn't that be a geat headline to see on Jagex/RS Homepage! Let's do it...lets work out the perfect solution to the bot problem and present it to Jagex. I am opening up this thread to discussion on this topic. Feel free to offer solutions and pick holes in one another's ideas. There just has to be a workable solution to botting! (doesn't there?)

The 'Darth Proposal' is as follows:
I submit that the primary solution to doing away with bots is to allow players to 'do away with' bots. We the players are the largest part of the game. If there is a method by which we can kill bots as we see them, the bot problem can be minimized or solved.

Just imagine, the ability to kill auto advertisers at the ge, or gold miners in lrc! It would make training at the worst bot locations the most fun! For the botters, everywhere would be open season on bots, like Green Dragons in the wildy.

The question, of course, is logistics. How do we allow bot hunting everywhere, without turning the entire world into the WILDY? (A horrid thought!)

I am proposing a method of challenging other players. This challenge could be issued anywhere (except maybe banks or other secure locations). If the challenge goes unanswered for a certain period of time (maybe 5 minutes), then the challenger would be free to attack you. Upon death, a challenged player would drop their inventory and respawn after a delay (I am thinking 15 minutes). A person could only be challenged once every hour or so, to minimize annoying spamming.

Would this work? What am I missing?

Come on KOA, let's save Jagex and RS together! We can demand free lifetime memberships or something as a reward!! :lol:

DoctorDRAG0N
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: DoctorDRAGON

Re: KOA Solves Bot Problem Forever!

Post by DoctorDRAG0N » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:23 pm

What a misleading topic title! LOL, I saw the headline & was like "What? =D OMG OMG OMG! YESSS!"
LOL. Interesting proposal. A step in any direction, at this point, is a step in the right direction.

Dr Brad
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Dr Brad

Post by Dr Brad » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:44 pm

Some discussion of this already here:

http://www.koaclan.co.uk/forums/viewtopi ... =59&t=7067
morituri te salutant

Tamal
RSN: Tamal

Post by Tamal » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:07 pm

Two weeks later bot scripts are updated to handle challenges :(

I, for one, think that all mouse and keyboard movement/input should be fed back to Jagex for analysis. It's extremely hard to fake human randomness (as opposed to computer-generated randomness).

EDIT: Also, dynamically generated item IDs per build or per session.

Diplomatt
Inactive
RSN: Diplomatt

Post by Diplomatt » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:52 pm

Tamal wrote:It's extremely hard to fake human randomness .
Trust me, my clicks are very random at times, including my cc chat!

Satrianisaxe
RSN: Satrianisaxe

Post by Satrianisaxe » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:03 pm

Have agree with Tamal. I liken "Bot-makers" to bacteria. As soon as we find a way of destroying they start to tweak and mutate themselves to become "resistant" to the "cure". (I know - I love bugs - they so much smarter than us). But good on you Darth for being pro-active in the fight!

Dima
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Dima

Post by Dima » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:43 pm

Hiring 300 employees whose sole purpose is to scour the world for bots. Arr, pretty stupid but works like a charm.
I had an awesome signature, but the internet went bankrupt.

Darth Kaz2
Inactive

Post by Darth Kaz2 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:36 pm

Tamal,
I am not familiar with the programming strategies/limitations of bot scripts. Does the variety of random events stall bot programs? Is there a way of randomizing the visual image of a player challenge that would defeat most bot programs?

Tamal
RSN: Tamal

Post by Tamal » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:01 pm

I'll admit that I don't know the nitty-gritty as well; but it is my understanding that the more recent bot engines don't rely on colors/images, but rather tap into the RuneScape Java applet itself and can identify objects onscreen by ID numbers:

Thus any sort of visual tricks just make the game harder for humans, but the bots have no problem.

Dave
RSN: Neltak

Post by Dave » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:02 pm

Yep, that's what the "newer" bots use. I put quotations because they've been using it for a little while now. (AFAIK)

Its tough to stop them though...when they can bot seemingly random skills such as slayer or dungeoneering.
Currently playing: Civilization V, Hearthstone, Dwarf Fortress II, Golf (IRL).

Darth Kaz2
Inactive

Post by Darth Kaz2 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:23 am

Hmmm...Do botting programs type anything, or simply click on items on the screen? This is what I am thinking...
You see a player you suspect of being a bot...you click on 'Challenge Player' and type that character's name into the screen. Then the challenge pops up in the message section of the challenged players screen. The challenge shows your character name...they have about 2 minutes to click on the challenge and TYPE YOUR NAME in to refuse the challenge. They are then immune from challenges for a set period of time, maybe 30-60 minutes.

Would a botting program be able to mimic this?

beefeater555
RSN: UNCLE LER0Y

Post by beefeater555 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:52 am

Kill'em all is what I say, and I do everytime I get bored. I can get up to 400 dragon bones an hour killing bots. And there's the added bonus of fighting greedy bot killers too.

Humm... I might have to make this an event. The KoA way of solving the bot problem! :)

DoctorDRAG0N
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: DoctorDRAGON

Post by DoctorDRAG0N » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:00 am

beefeater555 wrote:Kill'em all is what I say, and I do everytime I get bored. I can get up to 400 dragon bones an hour killing bots. And there's the added bonus of fighting greedy bot killers too.

Humm... I might have to make this an event. The KoA way of solving the bot problem! :)
Sign me up! <):)

scootch
RSN: Scootchy

Post by scootch » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:21 am

Have Always Said Bots Meet the Supply and demand Of Online Gaming. jagex has Been no differnt.the rare Tradable drops. We want this right now. Being Able to Buy are Levels.Bots pay for the game like Honest Folk. Its revenue For runescape.Who is Now A Public Company. Who answers to stock holders.
As Adults No Further Explination On that.

Personally I am Sick of Bots. they are everywhere In runescape. I figure whats the Point. What ever Jagex does It Wont go away.

Taking A Hardline. Make it all Untradable. Is the Only way to Get rid Of the Blight this game
IMO

Gridenough
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Gridenough

Post by Gridenough » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:13 pm

One thing you are missing is that sometimes real players turn off the conversation thing. I have done so when fishing amongst people with really boring or profane conversation. Sometimes I also turn it off if I want to have more screen clickable. maybe just make a challenge something that would pierce this.