slayer help - what do you block?

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

curanir
RSN: Curanir1

slayer help - what do you block?

Post by curanir » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:45 pm

Hi guys,

I'm almost 96 slayer and have 3 long levels still to go. I've unlocked everything that I need, so the rest of my points can be spent blocking tasks. The question is what do you block? I love doing all dragons, abyssals and strykeworms, so those are definitely on the keep list.

I currently have blocked dark beasts and suqahs, though I might release dark beasts as I heard they have a decent effigy drop rate.
In the firing line for me are:
bloodvelds/dagannoths -easy to cannon, but boring and uninteresting drops. Not really interested in green charms either.
dust devils - very uninteresting. Never got a dchain. At least they drop crims
fire giants/hellhounds - gold charm drops mostly, pretty boring
spiritual mages - they do at least drop dragon boots

Any other suggestions? Or should I just forget about getting tasks in a row and just burthorpe the ones I don't like?

Fluff
RSN: Fluff n Slay

Re: slayer help - what do you block?

Post by Fluff » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Double-block those bloodvelds! Only task that makes me grumpy
ImageImage

Dvdrak
RSN: Dvdrak

Post by Dvdrak » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:16 pm

Do not burthrope any tasks. You want to keep your streak going since you get extra points at 10 and 50 tasks in a row. I personally block steel dragons, Desert and jungle strykewyrms, Living rock creatures, and warped tortoises. Spiritual mages might be a good task to block since they don't drop charms or effigies and d boots are cheap now.
Naturally, you'll want to block the task you personally dislike doing. If you need a good explanation of the tasks search for Zarfot's slayer guide on the RS forums. It is the best slayer guide I've ever read. Goodluck on 99 slayer.

Tamal
RSN: Tamal

Post by Tamal » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:36 pm

Before I had 99 range, summoning, and slayer my block list looked much different, but here is my current block list:

Dark beasts - Crap drops, task takes forever
Bloodveld - Don't want to waste money on cannonballs
Kalphite - Crap task unless you're doing guardians, but they spawn too slowly
Waterfiends - Pain in the ass
Black demons - Crap drops

Since you aren't maxed yet in those skills, this is what I have to say about your short list:

Dark beasts - good slayer XP, largely AFKable, good source of blue charms
Suqahs - Teeth are worth 2k ea, task is usually small (~60), quick slayer points
Bloodvelds - Cannoning mutated bloods is some of the best slayer XP in the game, 35k+ slayer xp in a task
Dagannoths - Cannoning is okay, meh
Dust devils - Quick task, lots of alch-able drops, crimson charms
Fire giants - Fast in the chaos tunnels, bring a titan
Hellhounds - I like them just for the clue scrolls
Spiritual mages - Fast in Sara camp, can do a 200+ task in under an hour, 400-600k gp task

Don't Burthorpe, save up your slayer points for the slayer dart runes; they are a great money-maker.

35 slayer points = 250 slayer dart casts = 70,750k gp

TrixStar
RSN: trixstar

Post by TrixStar » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:56 pm

Tamal wrote:Before I had 99 range, summoning, and slayer my block list looked much different, but here is my current block list:

Dark beasts - Crap drops, task takes forever
Bloodveld - Don't want to waste money on cannonballs
Black demons - Crap drops
No offense but these shouldn't be on anyones block list if they are anywhere close to max melee stats. The effigy drop rate alone should leave them off your block list. Only do mutated bloodvelds though. If you want to maximize slayer then get turmoil (if you dont already have it) and screw food use prayer pots every task and never turn off your turmoil.

If you really want to maximize slayer then follow this...the only bit I tend to disagree with is blocking ice strykewyrms...I know they block it b/c the task takes forever but I enjoy them.

Coopisgod has kindly calculated the best task list for minimising the overall time (i.e. getting the lowest value for [Time slaying] - [time saved on summoning] - [time saved on skilling via effigies]). The assignment frequency for the calculations was based on a 345 task test.

Do
Black dragons
Black demons
Bloodvelds
Hellhound
Kalphites
Steel dragons
Suqath
Greater demons
Dark beasts
Abberant spectres
Dagganoth
Mithril dragons

Skip
Iron dragons
Dust devils
Terror dogs
Warped tortoises
Blue dragons
Waterfiends
Living rocks
Gargoyles
Tzhaar (Jad)
Jungle strykes
Skeletal wyverns
Spiritual mages

Block:
Ice strykes
Nechryaels
Desert strykes
Abby demons
Aquanites (not unlocked)
Fire giants

The block list is not all the worst tasks but rather the most commonly assigned of the bad tasks. Blocking commonly assigned tasks gives you more points to skip other bad tasks.
Ice strykes are a bit below average slayer xp/hr and their task takes over an hour (a long tasks makes a "bad" task worse). Their good effigy drop rate does not make up for their slowish xp.
You should get some spare points using this list which should be used to skip some mithril dragon tasks
If you have aquanites unlocked it is best to block aquanites and skip nech tasks
The 3 lists are arranged from best to worst tasks. Remember, because blocked tasks arent always worst the skip/block lists wont be in order if you put them together.

With this task list you should get
1 effigy per 102k xp slayed
53k/hr without effigies used on slayer
78k/hr with effigies used on slayer
summoning:slayer ratio of 0.806:1
prayer:slayer ratio of 0.14:1 if using urns or a bonecrusher on all tasks.

Tamal

Post by Tamal » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:05 pm

TrixStar wrote: No offense but these shouldn't be on anyones block list if they are anywhere close to max melee stats. The effigy drop rate alone should leave them off your block list. Only do mutated bloodvelds though. If you want to maximize slayer then get turmoil (if you dont already have it) and screw food use prayer pots every task and never turn off your turmoil.
None taken… I have no goal to get a ton of effigies nor do I want a ton of slayer XP. I also do not have any rares or a large cash pile to spend on pots; I slay because I find it enjoyable.

Frobozz
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Frobozz

Post by Frobozz » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:38 am

Tamal, I'm surprised you don't like Dark Beast drops. I've been quite happy with some of the drops I've gotten from these guys. The dark bow isn't that big a deal anymore since the price crashed, but there are still many excellent drops:

10 palmtree seeds = 1.13m
150 onyx bolts = 1.3m
100 battlestaves (noted) = 850k
Vecna skull = 680k
Dark bow = 315k
34 snapdragon (noted) = 238k

They also frequently drop rune items that can be high alced with the explorer ring.

With enhanced Excalibur and a bunyip, I can fight these guys for a while without using any prayer.

BTW, the easiest AFK slayer experience in the game is the Jad assignment. Just let the Tzhaar thump on you and autofight them. Bump the mouse every few minutes. It's zero risk, and you even get some Tokkul for your trouble.

I also like warped tortoises. They occasionally drop blue charms, and they can drop effigies, although it's very rare. The guides say they can drop 200 battlestaves or 100 rune ore, but I have yet to see that.
Frobozz the Wizard
Because you have to burn. In order to shine.

Sir Chris
Inactive
RSN: FileNotFound

Post by Sir Chris » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:14 am

Honestly it all really depends on what you are looking for.

Me, I'm about slayer xp, money and effigies I guess.

Any task you can cannon is great, i usually get a few good seeds from the daggs and the task takes 15 minutes tops.

I will do dark beasts if the mood strikes

bloodvelds/dagannoths -easy to cannon, therefore fast xp
dust devils - fast xp but lame otherwise
fire giants/hellhounds - very boring boring, i have hell hounds blocked and skip fire giants a lot
spiritual mages - they do at least drop dragon boots - been skipping these too of late, they can be fairly quick, but dboots are worth like 12gp now so the task is hardly worth the effort.

Another thing to consider is how inexpensive prayer pots have become. I have been turmoiling many tasks of late and it really speeds them up, especially those that drop dbones or inf ashes as you make so much money back if you have a yak and can bank them all. Depends on your levels I guess (slayer and prayer obviously).

Diplomatt
Inactive
RSN: Diplomatt

Post by Diplomatt » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:27 pm

I dont block anything, I'm not a wimp................................although I did pass on a Black Demons task the other day, the first task i have ever passed on in 94 Slaying!

Tamal

Post by Tamal » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Frobozz wrote:Tamal, I'm surprised you don't like Dark Beast drops. I've been quite happy with some of the drops I've gotten from these guys. The dark bow isn't that big a deal anymore since the price crashed, but there are still many excellent drops:
It's just me. I haven't gotten a dbow drop in years and the other drops you mentioned are from the rare drop table so many monsters drop them.

Having said that, there is much good advice on this thread and I'll likely change my block list because of it. Mainly the decreased cost of using turmoil.

Dave
RSN: Neltak

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:37 pm

My "do" list is the same as Trix's, only difference is on "perm blocked". It looks like:

Ice strykes (drop your fire/completionist cape when getting tasks)
Nechryaels
Desert strykes
Abby demons
Aquanites (not unlocked)
Gargoyles
Fire giants
Currently playing: Civilization V, Hearthstone, Dwarf Fortress II, Golf (IRL).

pi_stoff
RSN: Pi Stoff

Post by pi_stoff » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:12 pm

Interesting that most of you block the best tasks, I would have quit slaying years ago if I did the same.

I block warped terror birds, that's it the rest are worth doing, its what makes slaying fun.

Dave
RSN: Neltak

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:04 pm

pi_stoff wrote:Interesting that most of you block the best tasks, I would have quit slaying years ago if I did the same.

I block warped terror birds, that's it the rest are worth doing, its what makes slaying fun.
For me slayer was a means to an end - 99 melee & range. Once I did that I was 3/4 or so the way to 99 so I just did that last experience as efficiently as possible.
Currently playing: Civilization V, Hearthstone, Dwarf Fortress II, Golf (IRL).

curanir
RSN: Curanir1

Post by curanir » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:32 pm

wow, there is some seriously good (and varied) advice on this thread. MY view is that I like slayer (and rs generally) to be enjoyable, so I'd rather block tasks that are less enjoyable even if they are the most efficient.

From this, I will definitely unblock dark beasts, and block fire giants, and continue to block suqahs. I have never even had kuradel assign me kalphites, so I'm not too bothered about those. I might start skipping the cannonable tasks, although cannonballs are fairly cheap so I don't mind doing them.

I also don't intend on skipping anything that drops elite clue scrolls, so I'll carry on doing all stryke tasks. I still need a whole pile of charms for summoning, and cash for prayer, so I'll carry on with these. I think that I need to just get a nice bank of slayer tokens to use to skip lots of tasks.

Cheers all

lil zipperz
Inactive
RSN: zZIPPERZz

Post by lil zipperz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:31 pm

^ I agree with some of the posters who have stated that efficiency is not my primary concern. If I don't like doing tasks, I block 'em! Simple as that.

Then again, this is the calculator I use for Runescape: http://www.red5.co.uk/new-gadgets/wrongulator.aspx

:lol: :lol:
[url=http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Zzipperzz][img]http://runetrack.com/sigs/stat/purple/p ... pperzz.png[/img][/url][img]http://koaclan.info/sigs/2011-07_Fishing_2nd.jpg[/img]

[color=#BF0040]Most of my posts are unsuitable for any sort of work, or home viewing.[/color]
[color=#40BF80][b]There is no Real Life, only AFK[/b][/color]