Dungeoneering 90 Days In: Verdict?

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

PhelimReagh
Inactive
RSN: Sean na Gael

Dungeoneering 90 Days In: Verdict?

Post by PhelimReagh » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:38 am

Back on April 12th of 2010, Jagex released the new skills Dungeoneering.

3 months in.

Leader has 113 levels (still can't get used to that) and 52 million X P (sickie!).

As a Free skill, the number of players on the leaderboard with 30+ Dungeoneering is under 250K. This is 3 months into the skill's release. I'll confess that I've never kept track of any skills like this before (since pretty much every skill release I saw I thought was fairly good, or fixed within a month), but that seems like a very low number as far Runescape goes, especially for a skill that millions of free players can train, 3 months after release. Considering you can get 30 in most F2P skills in about a week of casual, disinterested play.

Of course, keep in mind, I hate Dungeoneering and the release of the skill was the last nail in the Runescape coffin for me. So I am prone to revel in it's, and Jagex's, failure.

My cynicism aside, Dungeoneering seems like a bust. How much X P of that was gained via lamps, penguin points and Tears of Guthix to boot?

So what does everyone think of the new skill, now that we're 3 months in and have had a long time to try it out and get used to it?
[url=http://www.draynor.net/][img]http://www.draynor.net/stat/leaves/male ... a_Gael.png[/img][/url]
[size=85]I'm bitter that Jagex has spent $50+ million of RS subscriptions developing other games instead of improving RS. If you're reading one of my posts and I even allude to Dungeoneering as a "skill" instead of minigame, keep that in mind.[/size]

dunder
Inactive
RSN: dunder miffl

Re: Dungeoneering 90 Days In: Verdict?

Post by dunder » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:10 am

I am lvl 42 in this "skill". Thanks lamps, tears and whatever. Never bothered to check it out outside of initial instructions when it first came out.

onezerobin
Inactive
RSN: ulidr

Post by onezerobin » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:25 am

I still don't like it, for the fact we have to be online uninterruptedly for few hours. Also, currently it is combat based, with each floor involving mindlessly defeating monsters. I might change my opinion when they add the ability to go afk, and add skilling only dungeons. According to recent Jagex news they are working on some of these changes.

Given the amount of detail that went into this skill (which is almost a game in itself), it is difficult to compare it with other skills.

Huzzah
RSN: Huzzah

Post by Huzzah » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:36 am

I recently got level 40 dung although to be honest only about 300 of my exp was earnt actually training the skill. I don't enjoy it as I mainly train by myself and the exp solo is horrible. I would much rather spend my time doing other skills atm.
[b]Classic:[/b] Combat 084 - 1134 Total Level.
[b]Pre-Eoc[/b] Combat 121 - 2288 Total Level.

Retired fall of 2012. Goodluck Koa! :)

Bass
RSN: Bassjason1

Post by Bass » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:56 am

About an hour before posting this I just got 73 Dungeoneering. I have figured out the good ways to train, and I plan on at least getting 80 for the new armour and weapons. I found that the key to getting this skill up reasonably quickly is to get a group of regular friends that will usually drop what they're doing for a floor or two at anytime they're on.

Because I know several such regular players (one of which is 94 Dunge atm), I usually can get in on a 5-man every night. Really, the trick to Dungeoneering is a good group of people you trust with Skype. Skype saves soooo much time that I recommend it to anyone seriously considering going high in Dungeoneering.

One things my friends have established is that we aren't really training a skill, we're training a minigame; a pretty awesome minigame, but still you can't take this "skill" seriously if you're expecting to understand it. I'd be glad to post some tips and tricks that would help you all, but I want to let others speak their minds before I do so, just let me know if you want me to type them out.

Dunge isn't a fun skill, it's simply a fun time. I'm looking forward to the rest of the floors and bosses (I'd really like a Primal Platebody to go along with my Primal Maul) and can only hope that they come soon. :-D

KevinsLunchbox
Inactive
RSN: Kevins a God

Post by KevinsLunchbox » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:57 am

Dungeoneering wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It helped me level some combat skills and was fun..... *hangs head in shame* Im sorry dungeoneering, I didn't mean to say you were the worst skill.

Hid
Inactive
RSN: h id

Post by Hid » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:47 am

It still is the worst "skill" ever. I am really trying to get it up atm, but I am far from enjoying it. It is so hard to get in a good group of people, outside of Koa, but you are forced to team up, cause solo xp is just terrible.

Really hope they will improve dung, it's the biggest runescape fail ever so far in my opinion.
KoA achievements

Esme94
Inactive
RSN: Esme Foster

Post by Esme94 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:26 am

I LOVE IT!!!!

:D

Moon Zina
Inactive
RSN: Moon Zina

Post by Moon Zina » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:17 pm

I love training it with KOA but by myself or strangers........no

paragram
Inactive
RSN: Paragram

Post by paragram » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:40 pm

I don't bother with dungeoneering anymore, except w/ tears. In my humble opinion, it is a big waste of time. I hope others enjoy though. Last thing I want to do is spoil it for other players.

Dvdrak
RSN: Dvdrak

Post by Dvdrak » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:02 am

Anytime Jagex wants to remove the new "skill" they have my 110% support.

Pa7uL
Inactive
RSN: Lord Pa7ul

Post by Pa7uL » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:42 am

out of the 76,784 exp (lvl 47) i have in the skill less than 10k of it is from actually doing the skill. i have probably given it 10 hours or more (which i consider to be a very fair attempt at trying to enjoy it) and i don't like it at all. what depth the skill does have is in all the wrong places. jagex practically stated themselves they wanted this skill to be an extremely slow grind to get anywhere and it is the slow grind itself that makes me hate this skill the most.

and on top of all that jagex could have spent that time making new weapons, monsters, and quests for the parts of runscape people liked but instead locked them away in their own little secluded box where anyone wishing to get at them must suffer through a near endless onslaught of monotony taking repetitive game play to new levels.

the only hope to me is the idea of resource dungeons. even with these however, i'll use tears and points to access them rather than slave through raid after raid accumulating more dissatisfaction and boredom than any enjoyment i could ever achieve form there attemps to breath purpose and new life into dungeoneering.

gk willie
Inactive
RSN: gk willie

Post by gk willie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:33 pm

Thanks to the "Tears", i'm exactly at level 40. Of all the experience I have, at 38,117, all but maybe 1500 is from actual play. I just do not enjoy it. I feel likes it's a totally different game. I dread the day when you have to go down there for a quest requirement. Some of the rewards I would like to have, like the coal bag and bonecrusher, but i have no desire to go through the "work" to get them. It shouldn't feel like work, I do enough of that during the day.

Eleus
Inactive

Post by Eleus » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:25 pm

gk willie wrote:Some of the rewards I would like to have, like the coal bag and bonecrusher, but i have no desire to go through the "work" to get them. It shouldn't feel like work, I do enough of that during the day.
I have been down twice - once with Kal as an Introduction to Floor 4 and once solo, where I failed dismally trying to get back to that floor (as I reset due to my ignorance). My lvl 41 is through Tears.

It is like playing a completely different game - and for me, I want to get my worthless skills up in basic RS. That is hard work in itself as in time-consuming and tedious.

If I was maxed, I would love it though - but I have a long way to go before then :P
Maybe that was Jagex's intention - to keep maxed players in the game and paying money?
Or dare I be classed as cynical?

Bass
RSN: Bassjason1

Post by Bass » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:53 am

I'll post some tricks I've picked up from some 80+ Dungeoneers in a new topic soon. As soon as you get the main premise of what clearing a floor should be like, I'm sure you guys will come around. :P