Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

magerpainz
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Magerpainz

Effigy Changes

Post by magerpainz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:28 pm

Effigy Changes:

Why have you changed the drop rate of effigies?

Mod Mark: Effigies have been dropping more frequently than we originally intended. We also didn't expect users to hoard them as much as they have.

Why now?

Mod Mark: This has been a continuing problem and we've decided to take action now in order to prevent this becoming an even larger problem in the future.

Why did you not inform players about this in advance?

Mod Mark: If users had been informed, the situation would have worsened.

I was saving my effigies up, will I be penalized?

Mod Mark: Any effigies you have currently will not be removed, however, you won't be able to collect more until you have fewer than 5. The effigies will also give the same amount of XP they would do if you'd have used them before this change.

Why can I no longer receive more if I've got 5 already?

Mod Mark: This limit is to prevent users from stockpiling them. Effigies were never intended to be stockpiled in this way.

Why don't you raise the assist XP cap to help us deal with the backlog of effigies?

Mod Mark: Whilst there will be an issue in the very short term for players trying to use the effigies, raising the cap is not a long term solution.

Where can I get help to complete some of my unfinished effigies if I don't have the levels myself?

Mod Mark: There are a few places you might be able to find some help. Check out the following Quick Find Codes for further assistance:

Seeking Effigy Assistance - 75-76-50-63429034
Offering Effigy Assistance - 75-76-258-63429044
Image Image Image
Sometimes..standing for what you believe...means standing alone!
"Live your life. Take chances. Be crazy. Don't wait. Right now is the oldest you've ever been and the youngest you will ever be again!"
I want a Spartan Woman!

B F O A
RSN: B F O A

Re: Effigy Changes

Post by B F O A » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:52 pm

Mod Mark: Effigies have been dropping more frequently than we originally intended.
What...?

This sounds like such a cop out :\

TrixStar
RSN: trixstar

Post by TrixStar » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:56 pm

magerpainz wrote:Effigy Changes:

Why have you changed the drop rate of effigies?

Mod Mark: Effigies have been dropping more frequently than we originally intended. We also didn't expect users to hoard them as much as they have.

We just didnt feel the need to check the drop rates fo 2 years %-(

buzzsaw100
Inactive
RSN: Buzzsaw-Buzzsaw100

Post by buzzsaw100 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:40 am

Seriously, just an over-reaction to mummies :(
Ironman:

ImageImageImage

Dave
RSN: Neltak

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:00 pm

As 'Vex' on tip.it stated: "...TLDR: With the drop rate halved/third there is no need for a 5 effigy limit, nor further reduction of chance per effigy the more of those 5 you carry."

Full post found here
Currently playing: Civilization V, Hearthstone, Dwarf Fortress II, Golf (IRL).

Gridenough
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Gridenough

Post by Gridenough » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:30 pm

Doesn't bother me much. Effigies are one of those things that only really are of benefit to those of very high levels--which I am not. It seems pointless to me to have an assist to do the effigies since the person assisting gets all the exp benefit. The player who got the drop only gets the lamp at the end, which delivers experience based on the experience the player already has. Again, unless you are a high level player your advantage is small. This is a nice toy for people with a lot of skill levels in the 90s, but not a big deal for me. (If I were to use the lamp for prayer I would receive less than 20k exp.) I only ever got 2 of them anyway. They drop mostly to monsters requiring a higher combat level. They sit in my bank and take up space until such time as I might use them.

benson300
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Bam Yoo

Post by benson300 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:10 pm

I'm quite positive this happened because of the mummies. I'm okay with only holding 5 but slowing down the drop rate really sucks.
ImageImage

Kaejer
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Kaejer

Post by Kaejer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:32 pm

I've never liked the idea of people farming effigies and leveling up skills entirely through not doing the skill. It just seems silly to me for people to use effigies to get Runecrafting to 91 then assist and effigy all the way up to 99 when the last rune crafted was around level 70. I was waiting for the shameful day when someone would post a video of a person getting 120 Dungeoneering entirely from effigies, lamps, penguins, tears, etc but now it probably won't happen (heh, they'd only have floor 1 open).

However, I think this is a lazy "solution" to the problem. There are ways the effigies could stay roughly the same while stopping people from hoarding and farming effigies non-stop all day long. The easiest solution I think of is an effigy drop cooldown. For example you get an effigy drop and it'll take a couple hours before you even have a chance of seeing another one drop (they do this timing thing with The Pit still I believe). It would stop people from sitting at cave crawlers, mummies, etc for hours on end because they would know it wouldn't be a possible drop after they got their first one. At least for a while. The only people it'd mess up some other than effigy farmers is Slayers, but personally when I slayed I didn't see many effigies so an effigy every couple of hours would probably be the normal rate for me.

The cap on effigies is kinda meh, I understand why they did it, but meh. Hoarding experience is lame, but I don't really know of a solution to that without a hard cap.

EDIT: I also think the implementation of the change was blah as well. For those who did hoard lots of effigies they have probably a month before they can get rid of all of their effigies. It would've been nicer if the current banked effigies did not count towards the 5 effigies in the new update. Or something that didn't penalize so harshly on the hoarders versus everyone else. It's like they hit the hoarders with a nerf bat then just to demoralize them more they spit in their face.