Lady Llysa - Dungeoneer or Not

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

lady llysa
Inactive
RSN: lady llysa

Lady Llysa - Dungeoneer or Not

Post by lady llysa » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:12 pm

My son has just caught me reading an idiot's guide to Dungeoneering this afternoon. He put his arms round me, gave me a kiss and said, "“You really shouldn't be dungeoneering mum, not in your condition. You're not quick enough, you're too forgetful, and you know you live in a fog.”

He really wasn't trying to be horrible – he was just stating the truth as he saw it – and after trying to read the idiot's guide, I am beginning to think that perhaps he is right.

As some of you already know, I have a condition called Fibromyalgia.

It is a chronic pain disorder characterized by widespread pain of the muscles, tendons, and ligaments, stiffness, general fatigue, and sleep disturbances. These symptoms vary in area and severity on a daily basis and as such I am unable to hold down a paying job or enjoy much of a social life. Fibromyalgia is also characterized by restless sleep, awakening feeling tired, fatigue, anxiety and depression.

The fog my son was referring to is known to sufferers as Fibro-Fog, the severity of which also fluctuates on a daily basis and can be made up of:
• Mental confusion and fatigue
• Loss of short-term memory
• Inability to concentrate
• Impaired thinking
• Absentmindedness
• Inability to recognize familiar surroundings
• Disorientation
• Inability to comprehend written or spoken words
• Trouble with directions
• Short attention span
• Acquired dyslexia (includes difficulty speaking known words)
Many people with Fibromyalgia often make jokes about it because it can be embarrassing and even frightening. A common scenario: You're having a conversation with someone when suddenly, in the middle of the sentence that's coming out of your mouth, your brain seems to turn itself off. Your mouth hangs open as you desperately search for what you were just saying two seconds ago. But it's no use. Where there once was a clear distinguishable thought in your head, there is nothing left but a vacuous black hole of nothingness.

"“The lights are on but no-one is home.”
"“She's having a senior moment.”
"The wheel is turning, but the hamster left town,"

I know this happens to everyone from time to time, but for me it is a regular occurrence.

I am telling you this because of the upcoming Dungeoneering Skill Week. I tend not to join in most events as they usually require combat and quick thinking which is not always my forte, and I don't want to embarrass myself publicly. I was dreading the Slayer week for that very reason but gritted my teeth and got on with it so that I could be seen to be ‘getting involved.' As it turned out I ranked in 13th position, about which I was and am so very pleased with myself. This one however, Dungeoneering, seems to be so much more complicated that it scares me – but I so want to join in. At the same time I wouldn't want to let any team down, get them killed, or even worse lose them xp. And, even the idiot's guide is confusing me! Lol!

This has been a long and painful post, and for those of you who have gotten this far – Thank You with ribbons on.

The upshot is: can I back out, or, would a team be willing to have me provided they give me one job to do with little to no expectation of anything else, such as killing things with melee.

Over to you guys – I really don't mind which – I genuinely won't be offended. (If it helps you could talk among yourselves and give me the collective answer.)

PS. I don't want any pity, or to be treated any differently - except in dungeoneering, lol!

Much Love to you all and thanx for your patience.

lady llysa
Inactive
RSN: lady llysa

Re: Lady Llysa - Dungeoneer or Not

Post by lady llysa » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:15 pm

Btw - I am only mentally defective some of the time lol. I used to be a Building Surveyor in my previous life.

Shortstuff
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Shortstuff

Post by Shortstuff » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:29 pm

Tbh honest with ya, I think you would be daft to miss out, ecen if you do just a few dungs to get the xp. There are plenty of ppl in koa that are not just in it to win it, there's ppl that will help out and walk u thru it, me being one of them. There's no point in turning it away unless u have tried it with the great bunch of people that we have. Some people like it, some people wanna win it, and loads of people just love to have fun. I doubt I will be on 24/7 for the skill week, but when I am on, I would be willing to help out, as many others may aswell

Dan

Bass
RSN: Bassjason1

Post by Bass » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:57 pm

With your condition, I would honestly only Dungeoneer with friends, because a lot of people on the themed worlds are very impatient and would probably let you die while they move on to more rooms, which hurts your experience at the end of the dungeon.

When you do dungeoneer, I recommend that you have someone else key. So, make sure to have a toolkit in case your levels are needed, but let someone else take the lead so they can quickly memorize the minimap and make sure your team gets through the dungeon quickly. So basically, you will want to focus on clearing guardian doors, fishing and preparing food, making armour, or getting to whatever door they need your levels to unlock. Doing this is a lot more safe, and you'll always end up prepared for the big boss because of the slower pace your team is at apart from the key-man, who will still be able to get you done in 40-60 minutes.

So, as long as you take that more passive role in a team, I think Dungeoneering will still be fun, and the clan should be more than able to help. If you have any trouble with a boss or floor, feel free to PM me or let the clan chat know. We're a lot faster than idiot guides. :pirate:

onezerobin
Inactive
RSN: ulidr

Post by onezerobin » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:41 pm

Llysa hope you feel better soon. As Draco already mentioned for some of us, the goal is to mostly to have a comradeship and beat the boredom of repetitive training alone. It's unfortunate we cannot take more than 10 minute breaks in dungeons, but we can still do it, without all the rush. I won't mind if you have to back out in the middle of a floor, because real life does come first. At the end of the day this is just a game to have fun. I will be glad to do leisure dungeoneering with you, whenever I am in cc for extended periods of time. And what Bass said is true, we are better idiots than idiot guides :P

Diplomatt
Inactive
RSN: Diplomatt

Post by Diplomatt » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:43 pm

Llysa, I didn't mind one little bit! To be honest, I was probably worse when I started Dunny! (Yes, ask Rawstar!). If you want to do Dunny, the clan will always help out, that's why we are a clan!

scootch
RSN: Scootchy

Post by scootch » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:49 pm

differnt types of Dung. Social where get good laugh. That happens on mummble.

serious When it get to the end and get it over

calculating dung. Where u use every resource in the dung.

Slow But sure dung. We eventually kill it.

Pro dung -Yer on yer own so scrooo you.

wchaudoin
RSN: Wchaudoin

Post by wchaudoin » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:12 pm

lol.. nice list scootch :)

Moon Zina
Inactive
RSN: Moon Zina

Post by Moon Zina » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:21 pm

Llysa,
Yes, do dung!!! I have alot of the same things going on with me due to 2 strokes, last one was in July so I know how you feel exactly! Right now they are still trying to find out what's wrong but I'm not letting it stop me, :D.

I am 76 dung and have had my times of confusion and basic what the hell am I doing times but it is doable! I have told my dung partners(always clan) about why I act so..........well like a brainless fool at times, lol and alot still ask me to dung. You will learn it just like any other skill on RS, I still don't know all the potions and what log is better ect but I'm actually getting pretty good as I know you will too.

*hugs*
Zina

Sunni Ray
RSN: Sunni Ray

Post by Sunni Ray » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:05 am

Don't worry Llysa, I'm slow too. I'm always 10 steps behind trying to pick up my arrows and half the time I have no idea where anyone is. People still ask to go with me and I've somehow managed to get 83 dung. This upcoming skillweek will be the perfect time to learn. If I can do the floor you need, I will gladly join you.

serame
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Serame

Post by serame » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:15 am

Thanks for sharing, Llysa. My best friend, also named Lisa :-) has fibromyalgia, too, so I have a basic understanding of what you are going through, and I wish you all the best.

According to Scootchy's list, I am a slow, calculating dungeoneer, who has only completed up to floor 5. I think we would make a good team! Sometimes I am on a lot, sometimes only a little, but if we're both on together for dung, look me up! I would be happy to go with you if you can put up with me.

Paragram the list-maker (my hubby) made an extensive list of all the resources and their levels...I will borrow that for sure when I head to the dungeons!

KevinsLunchbox
Inactive
RSN: Kevins a God

Post by KevinsLunchbox » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:49 am

Wait....Fibromyalgia affects things like playing Dungeons in Runescape?

JulianR
Inactive
RSN: AirmanJulian

Post by JulianR » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:51 am

I may also have the beginnings of Dyslexia settling in. No clue as to why. But do no fret dungeoneering, as I PLAN to be the one slowing the teams down. I never rush through go with me if you would so choose.

Diplomatt
Inactive
RSN: Diplomatt

Post by Diplomatt » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:28 am

lady llysa wrote: • Mental confusion and fatigue
• Loss of short-term memory
• Inability to concentrate
• Impaired thinking
• Absentmindedness
• Inability to recognize familiar surroundings
• Disorientation
• Inability to comprehend written or spoken words
• Trouble with directions
• Short attention span
You just described a man!

Llysa, to me, this is the whole point in being in a clan, an adult clan at that. We will be there to help. If you ever wan't to do dunny, I am sure every member of the clan will understand and be patient. If you noticed, when we were running around the dunny levels, we all waited for everyone to be ready. We left food and items on the floor for everyone else and when you get to the higher complexity levels, we will wait if anyone want to do a bit of skilling before ending the level after the big fight.

As for all the new items to learn, when we get to the higher complexity levels, we will just make the best armour and wep you can use for your levels (I did already have it planned out for you!). The clan can only survive by helping each other and using teamwork!

See you in the Dunny!

Andy