RSN: Lady in Ice

Re: SotC: Build Tick 36

Post by Lady in Ice » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:30 pm

Bump for the poll

curanir
RSN: Curanir1

Post by curanir » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:31 pm

can I reverse my vote to no plot locking please?

DoctorDRAG0N
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: DoctorDRAGON

Post by DoctorDRAG0N » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:35 pm

I must confess I am NOT a fan of the locked plots. I worked very hard to get the citadel where it is, now if I'm not on Tuesday during the tick I can forget about using the citadel to skill. Not even 48 hours after the tick & all I can do is cook. I have 99 cook & atm thats all that can be done. No citadel 4 dragon this week. :(

We got tier 7 w/o locks, now we have awesome plots I cant even use. All my toil is for nought. :(

Katy
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: K aty

Post by Katy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:39 pm

I want to vote against locking...but it wont let me vote now ...but i am dead against locking plots...seems unfair if you cant get on before others do the skill you want to do. :(
Having a dirty mind makes ordinary conversations much more interesting

“She who dies with the most shoes wins!

Tamal
RSN: Tamal

Post by Tamal » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:45 pm

I'll try and get on soon and see what the situation is (and maybe move to a new thread to discuss).

What plot were y'all trying to do?

zerocoollll
RSN: Zero Smurf

Post by zerocoollll » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:11 pm

I did vote for locking but thinking about it we got all the best for now and should just get upgrades whenever we get them. Really sucks to go up there and see only skills you have 99 in unlocked.

Satrianisaxe
RSN: Satrianisaxe

Post by Satrianisaxe » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:35 pm

In my opinion the Citadel is a clan thing. I know loads of people who will work on resources that are required even tho they are maxed on a certain skill. Why should we end up with an excess of 3k ore just cos folk wanna mine or 3k excess in cloth cos folk wanna get crafting exp. There are plenty of opportunities in game to gain exp in all skills. The citadel is about a clan working together to achieve a goal. Not everything is about personal gain! So should we expect all maxed members of the clan not to ever visit the citadel as they are not getting anything out of it?! Shocked, Sat.

DoctorDRAG0N
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: DoctorDRAGON

Post by DoctorDRAG0N » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:49 pm

Davva0668 wrote:In my opinion the Citadel is a clan thing. I know loads of people who will work on resources that are required even tho they are maxed on a certain skill. Why should we end up with an excess of 3k ore just cos folk wanna mine or 3k excess in cloth cos folk wanna get crafting exp. There are plenty of opportunities in game to gain exp in all skills. The citadel is about a clan working together to achieve a goal. Not everything is about personal gain! So should we expect all maxed members of the clan not to ever visit the citadel as they are not getting anything out of it?! Shocked, Sat.
It's not that I don't want to put any clan effort forth. I volunteer for KoA so that's just absurd. It's the notion that I walk into citadel less then 48 hours after the tick & the first 5 plots I walk across are all locked. What is the good of the clan if not for the good of the members? We will have a pretty citadel that no one visits cuz its all locked up. Did we have trouble getting were we are? I for one really enjoyed the ride until this. :|

Shortstuff
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Shortstuff

Post by Shortstuff » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:54 pm

Agreed with DD, i voted againstthe lock to start with, I havent capped this week, but wanted to ehlp with multiple parts of the citadel rather than just whats definetly needed, we havent missed a goal yet, so dont see why this should have been changed now so late in the day

Tamal

Post by Tamal » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:14 am

I'll just post it here, it's not worth making another thread.

I personally feel that the Citadel is about the clan and is bigger than just you or I. It's a virtual "physical" representative of the hard work and cooperation of the entire clan.

I know that not everyone feels the same way, some only go there to get free XP in the skill of their choice and that is fine. However it is my duty to organize and arrange targets in order to reach our goals (a maxed Citadel). We haven't gotten there yet, all the plots need to be upgraded. T7 plots give better XP so I'm unsure why one wouldn't want to max them.

Before the lock update I'd try to manage what resources people would work on by repeated status updates, announcements in the CC, helping at the events saying what we need more of, etc. It wouldn't always work. When certain plots got out of hand (Crafting is the repeat offender) I'd resort to underhanded techniques like understating goals in order to trick people into gathering the resources we needed. I didn't like to do that but it worked.

In the middle of the T7 upgrade the lock update was released. At first I was extremely wary of using it. I felt it was too restrictive. I did some tests and I liked how it automatically unlocked when all goals were met. Then I tried using it for the last weeks of the T7 upgrade and it worked beautifully. It offered instant guidance to whomever was helping out (not everyone checks to see what we need before working). We maxed Stone early on so if someone tried to mine Stone it'd let them know we've hit that goal. They could then go onto ore. I received no complaints or any pushback at all during the upgrade. It could have been because popular plots weren't locked or because everyone was on the same page working towards T7. I don't know.

It was a huge success and we achieved T7 Citadel. All the other plots and buildings were still T6 so we still had a few weeks of upgrading to do. I was now a fan of using locks (when used correctly). They can provide instant guidance and can help ensure we get our basics (upkeep + upgrade) taken care of without wasting resources. After the basics were covered then they'd automatically unlock and everyone was free to skill as they like (I never planned on building customization requirements into the set goals). However I was very concerned about how people felt about them so I didn't include them in tick 36 and instead put up the poll.

At the end of tick 36 there was over 14k surplus cloth (we were able to keep 3k, leaving ~11k to disappear unused). We missed finishing a customization by 474 bars. This was frustrating!

Via the poll, KoA'ers voted for letting me use the auto locks 29 to 10. I understand that people are using the Citadel for skilling more and more so I decide that I'll never set the goals to cover cosmetic customizations, but only for upkeep (very important) and upgrades (pretty important). If we miss upkeep the citadel will dilapidate and twice in a row = downgraded to T6. Upgrades are important because they'll maximize our plots so gathering resources is quicker and more XP (also more XP from the clan ring too!) Plus we'll finish all possible upgrades in a few weeks so then the auto locks will only be on upkeep (which we absolutely need). Once upkeep is met then the locks will disappear and everyone can skill to their heart's content, hopefully working on whatever customizations we have in the pipeline.

I implemented them on tick 37. Ahh, I can breathe now and not stress about micromanaging the resources. I no longer have to manipulate resource goals to trick my fellow clan mates. I know that we have a decent ration requirement this week so I max my cap on Rations even though I have 99 Cooking (of course I'd prefer other skills I don't have 99 in, but I know the clan needs rations):
Screen Shot 2012-04-05 at 4.50.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-04-05 at 4.50.32 PM.png (68.94 KiB) Viewed 4249 times
Everyone is on board, we're in this together! Life is grand! Who wouldn't want to ensure that the basics are covered?

Checked this thread while at work today. Oh.

:(

I guess I'll go back to the hard way of doing things. Locks are off now.

Lady in Ice
Inactive
RSN: Lady in Ice

Post by Lady in Ice » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:42 am

I think it´s a little unfair to say that if we prefer not to lock the plots then we don´t care for the clan. We all worked hard for our Tier 7 citadel and even if there is still lots to do ( not all plots are Tier7 yet) .. could we now chill out a bit? What happens if we achieve Tier7 battlefield 1 week later?
I do care for the clan.. however, I´m one of those players who do not do skills which I have 99 in unless it´s an absolute necessity. And most likely I´ll quit playing after I achieve 99 in every skill. ( still several years to go tho :) )

I can do rations at least for a year ( at lvl 90 cooking yet).. and all I´m doing in citadel are rations but I can understand the frustration of players with 99 cooking who would rather do mining.

Tamal, you´re doing a great job with citadel and we´re all grateful.. but could we find a compromise here ?
For example locking the plots on day 4 in case we´re in trouble with upkeep?

*found 2 cents from the pocket*

Tamal

Post by Tamal » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:58 am

Kaleviplika wrote:I think it´s a little unfair to say that if we prefer not to lock the plots then we don´t care for the clan.
I never said nor would I ever insinuate such a thing.

Dave
RSN: Neltak

Post by Dave » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:59 am

Regarding locking or not...I feel people don't understand the work, management and direction that Tamal is required to give when we didn't have resource locking. During the citadel events the members had (have?) to be constantly directed as to what is needed or not, otherwise we would have ridiculous surpluses. It was obvious to me that hardly anybody checked what we needed for resources. This auto locking allows Tamal to not have to worry about constantly telling people what we need when during events it can change fast (trust me on this, I always tried to help direct people at these events when I was there). DoctorDragon's post is a prime example of this, "...I walk into citadel less then 48 hours after the tick & the first 5 plots I walk across are all locked." This should never happen and simply prove that locks are needed to guide the clanmembers. If members are unable to guide themselves towards what is needed than they need to be guided.

Not everything has to be about gaining exp or advancing your character.
Currently playing: Civilization V, Hearthstone, Dwarf Fortress II, Golf (IRL).

SnowAngel
Inactive
RSN: SnowAngel

Post by SnowAngel » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Kaleviplika wrote: Tamal, you´re doing a great job with citadel and we´re all grateful.. but could we find a compromise here ?
For example locking the plots on day 4 in case we´re in trouble with upkeep?
I agree with this. I'm 99 in all the citadel skills and play quite a bit so I'm willing to help wherever you need me. However, there are quite a few members that only play a few hours/week and I feel it's unfair for them to get on and want to help at the citadel and find that the skill plots where they can train are locked. That gives them the option of spending an hour or two of their limited rs time helping the clan but receiving zero useful xp for themselves OR just leaving the citadel and going off to skill elsewhere. If we waited 4 or 5 days to lock the plots or just mention in cc that (for example) we need more rations, as we have been doing, that would be sufficient.
*2nd acct - PurpleSnow
Image Image ImageImageImage

Missing Jeff @};- (Magerpainz)