Access problems & permission problems.

Anything to do with the clan - suggestions - democracy - announcements - citadel.

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Deep_Pain
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Deep Pain
RSN2: Choose Life

Access problems & permission problems.

Post by Deep_Pain » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:17 pm

I do know of these problems and they will be resolved, they are all fairly simple, but I apologise yet again to use the excuse of time, but well that's the way it is.

We experienced problems with moving the site to this server due to the bridge between the forum and the mainsite. The easiest way to deal with this was to uninstall the bridge between the sites. However the uninstall utility that came with the bridge only uninstalled the bridge from the main site, it left it completely entwined with the forums.

As I was on limited time and the forums needed updating to the latest release anyway, after several hours trying to undo the changes the bridge had made to forum code, I thought the simplest way of doing this would be to install fresh forums, this would replace all the changes the bridge had made to the code of the forums with the original.

The site was up and running fine, however what I hadn't realised at the time, was that the database had an extra item left by the bridge, when I came on later to fix permissions etc.. I applied the first change, and even tho I hadn't changed that particular option it seems the extra item was in the default position, so as soon as I saved the forum crashed, had I had time to go through the error codes and fault find, it would have been obvious that it was calling an item that didn't exist, however I didn't, I was due at work the next day, had a birthday on Monday and my uncles funeral on tuesday. I made the assumption from the fact it was an authentication error, that it was bridge related and given that I wouldn't be on for several days, that it would be best to just get the site working asap, this meant reinstalling the bridge (some of you may be experiencing the old log in problems again), but the forum installation has left many people with some permission issues.

They are simple enough to clear up, but will need a few hours online time which I just haven't had in the last 3 days. I have some deliveries to make tomorrow morning and early afternoon. May possibly get time tomorrow evening, but unlikely. I would imagine any permission and log in problems anyone is having will be fixed on Thursday.

Sorry for the lack of information, but working on the site ran severely into other things I needed to do and as soon as I saw it was online and working (albeit with some duff permissions) I ligged off and havent been back on for more than 2 mins since, I did try and let people in the CC know what was going on and also mentioned on the staff forums that I wouldn't be on, but judging by the pm's / emails I've recieved it hasn't filtered down, I should have made a post but just didnt think about it. bare with us a few days, it's just some simple permission problems and the bridge needs dismantling again.

It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.