Sorry!

Anything to do with the clan - suggestions - democracy - announcements - citadel.

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Deep_Pain
KoA Alumni
KoA Alumni
RSN: Deep Pain
RSN2: Choose Life

Sorry!

Post by Deep_Pain » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:54 pm

Sorry for the delays with the server move.

I spent half of the last week trying to get the server ready, with sitting waiting 10 years for this site to load sometimes it was frustrating enough. But I kept getting a problem with the new server, I've never really used linux before, espcially root, so I thought it was something I'd done, I spent days and days trying to figure it out, editing files, searching the net, trying fix after fix.

In the end I gave up and got them to reprovision the server. Lo and behold, I try the same thing again from scratch and it didn't work, I hadn't wanted to contact tech suport as it is an unsupported server and they charge many bux for support lol Anyway turns out it was a problem with a custom piece of software they install on their servers, he knew exactly what the problem was as soon as I told him, apparently a heap of their users had had it over the last few days and he disabled it lol.

:-/

Ok so yesterday I start uploading the site, making sure all the settings are good, uploading the databases etc.. Get the site almost working except what i thought was a small error. I basically dumped the databases and ported the 2 sites across and changed the config files etc..

All seemed to be working except what I thought at the time was a small error, so I thought I'll import the latest databases in the morning, fix the problem, shouldnt take 10 mins, and update the DNS servers. Of course best laid plans of mice and men and all that.

Problem turned from 10 mins into an hour into a few hours, everytime I thought I had it licked, it came back with avengance and worse lol.

In short the bridge really didnt like the move, it screwed up at every possible opportunity the other 2 sites, but because it was so screwed up it wouldnt let me uninstall it. In the end had to uninstall it manually thru the database and editing / deleting files. After basically 15 hours sat in front of the computer lol, and making a lotta lotta edits just to get it to work, I decided rather than a heap of hacks to get it working, it would be best to uninstall it here, seperate the 2 sites, make sure they are both clean, up to date and error free, port them across as seperate sites and then rejoin them. No problem.

Of course I made sure I read up on uninstalling the bridge.. just a simple matter of checking the module, selecting uninstall and the site would revert to default settings, easiest job of the last few days... bullshit!

uninstalled, site had a hissy fit, php errors galore, log in on forums not working, it wanted to be removed about as much as it wanted to be moved.

OK so it's fixed now, the stupid iframe is just an effect of the seperation. You can access the forums directly via:

http://www.koaclan.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php

without the silly frame, I'll fix it on the new server.

OK RD3!!!

lets get ready to rumble.

I am starting right now, could be finished in a few hours, then online by the morning, but then again if it's not I have an extremely busy weekend, so don't hold your breath.

It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.