Should we raise the clan age requirement to 21+ ?

Anything to do with the clan - suggestions - democracy - announcements - citadel.

Moderators: Citadel Overseer, Media, Liaison Team

Should we raise the clan age requirement to 21+?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:32 pm

yes
43%
no
48%
I don´t know
8%

Total votes: 60

Lady in Ice
Inactive
RSN: Lady in Ice

Should we raise the clan age requirement to 21+ ?

Post by Lady in Ice » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:32 pm

Hello clannies!

The staff would like to ask your opinion in the matter if KoA should have a higher age requirement ( 21+ instead of 18+ )?

We ( admin staff) would like not to give pros and cons of that proposal at the start of the discussion in order not to influence the voting.

The poll runs for 2 weeks and if the majority of members are for raising the age requirement then the new requirement will come into effect on Dec 1st 2010.

Anyone in the clan already who does not meet 21+ age requirement will not be affected or expected to meet the requirement within a time period or anything. If you are in you are in . The new requirement ( if it gets accepted) will only be there for new members.

Jax
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Erebos Jax

Re: Should we raise the clan age requirement to 21+ ?

Post by Jax » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:41 pm

Why not make it effective on 25th December :) .

Anyway I'm for it it would hold away some premature players who don't know what mean free speech and the responsibility that comes with it.
Qotsisajak
Nwûl tash.
Dzwol shâsotkun.
Shâsotjontû châtsatul nu tyûk.
Tyûkjontû châtsatul nu midwan.
Midwanjontû châtsatul nu asha.
Ashajontû kotswinot itsu nuyak.
Wonoksh Qyâsik nun.

Steam: Devilnion
Origin: Holgoma
Anime-Planet: Devilnion

Diplomatt
Inactive
RSN: Diplomatt

Post by Diplomatt » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:42 pm

Kaleviplika wrote:We ( admin staff) would like not to give pros and cons of that proposal at the start of the discussion in order not to influence the voting.
That is the only way you can complete a democratic vote! People may 'vote on impulse' instead of thinking about the proposal before clicking. You really should be proposing a few pro's and cons for both.

Yes, we may weed out people from joining who may not be classed as mature enough BUT we also may be weeding out great people from potentially joining and I will name Black Joker for a start. He was under 21 and I'm sure most will say a really nice guy!

Andy

Lady in Ice
Inactive

Post by Lady in Ice » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:52 pm

Pilgrim Matt wrote:
Kaleviplika wrote:We ( admin staff) would like not to give pros and cons of that proposal at the start of the discussion in order not to influence the voting.
That is the only way you can complete a democratic vote! People may 'vote on impulse' instead of thinking about the proposal before clicking. You really should be proposing a few pro's and cons for both.

Andy
Andy, we would really like this question to be decided by the clan. We do have our opinion on this but coming out with the opinion of the staff right now doesn`t make the voting more democratic imo.

There are always ppl who vote on impluse with or without any reasons given.
Discussion about this proposal is very welcome.
Also everyone can change the votes if you reconsider.

IZZI
Inactive
RSN: o0 IZZI 0o

Post by IZZI » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:53 pm

I voted yes but I have to ask, how do you know the age of the applicants? How do you verify it? Is this to reduce the "inapropriate language" in CC ? If so I think that issue has been addressed with stunning results, a quite CC where people are afraid to speak. You may think its jus my opinion but several people have said the same thing.

Diplomatt
Inactive
RSN: Diplomatt

Post by Diplomatt » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:56 pm

Kal

You have taken the statement the wrong way. If admin put down all pro's, then we would know your all for raising the limit, if you put down all cons, the opposite, if you put down pro's and cons, how could it influence us?

What I was saying is put down the argument for and against and the reason why you think it's appropriate at this time to change the age limit!

Andy
Last edited by Diplomatt on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lady in Ice
Inactive

Post by Lady in Ice » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:03 pm

IZZIT420YET wrote:I voted yes but I have to ask, how do you know the age of the applicants? How do you verify it?
We don´t know the ages of ppl. We can suspect though. However, there have been several occasions when people under 18 have joined the clan.
You want to know how do we verify? We ask :lol:

Shortstuff
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: Shortstuff

Post by Shortstuff » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:07 pm

I voted yes, but was wondering what has triggered this after the success of KoA so far

Dan

Poppy
Inactive
RSN: Poppy Koc

Post by Poppy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:08 pm

Pilgrim Matt wrote:If admin put down all pro's, then we would know your all for raising the limit, if you put down all cons, the opposite, if you put down pro's and cons, how could it influence us?
Admin are asking members to give their own opinion via a vote. If they also wish to debate their reasons for doing so this is up to the individual. It is immaterial what arguments staff have raised because the decision will be made by this open poll and that is down to all members.

Staff have been approached by members asking for this clan requirement change for many reasons. There are always valid arguments on both sides so you need to decide what your own view is before casting your vote.

Darth Kaz2
Inactive
RSN: Darth Kaz2

Post by Darth Kaz2 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:11 pm

Personally, I think the question of age verification is the important point when discussing age restrictions. Any age restriction we set will only keep mature and responsible players away, since immature players can simply lie about their age and join. Age 21, 24, 30, whatever, we are merely limiting the number of good applicants. 18 is the logical requirement, since it defines us a an adult clan to the broder RS community.

Perhaps a better approach to this issue of attracting/retaining good mature members would be to revisit our policies on banning members who act irresponsibly in the clan. We can't keep immature kids from joining, but perhaps we can get them out of the clan before they cause too much trouble.

Lawidget
Clan Member
Clan Member
RSN: La Widget

Post by Lawidget » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:55 pm

I voted no. If it is a level of maturity in question many 21+ may not make the grade.

We have great under 21 year old members and Admins have tossed members who were many many many years older.

If admins have an issue with any member or members, I think they should approach that member directly and explain the issue.

From an Ancient One...

Laurie

IZZI
Inactive
RSN: o0 IZZI 0o

Post by IZZI » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:13 pm

I think Laurie has an excellant point, Im sure there are many between 18 and 21yrs that are more mature than those 21 yrs +. (sometimes including myself at 39yrs) I may have to reconsider my "yes" vote.

Calviniuster
RSN: Calviniuster

Post by Calviniuster » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:03 pm

For years the U.S. has had a policy that has never made sense to me. At 18 years old, a person can join the military and fight and die. But that same person cannot buy alcohol. If we deem a person old enough to choose to fight in battle and sacrifice his/her life for ours, how can we then say that person is too irresponsible and shouldn't be allowed to choose to drink alcohol or not?

If a person is actually SEEKING a mature clan, it seems odd to say they are too immature to join.

I vote no.

Moon Zina
Inactive
RSN: Moon Zina

Post by Moon Zina » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:40 pm

I voted yes, though I am on the borderline of changing it reading some of these posts.

The reason I voted yes was because alot of 18 year olds just got out of high school and are still part of the "teen" group and haven't grasped the concept of what adult is. Then again we have some serving in the military or holding down full time jobs at 18 and deserve to have adult privileges. So I may change my vote to "I don't know".

Lady in Ice
Inactive

Post by Lady in Ice » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:58 pm

Noone is going to die here or get shot..

There are adult clans out there in RS who have 30+ as their age requirement. I´m pretty sure it´s there because they expect ppl 30+ to be more mature. I don´t see how the RS clan age requirement is connected to the military service :P